Our original plan for a "greenhouse" this year was to make a temporary, three-season high tunnel out of PVC... then stick a forced-air salamander heater in it and use it like a greenhouse. A high tunnel, for those who don't know, is basically an unheated greenhouse "top" over a part of the field where you're growing a crop instead of transplants. We had this concept planned and budgeted nicely. Then several people got us scared that we were putting all of our eggs in a rickety basket with that idea, so we decided to upgrade. Neither of us remember the moment that we decided to build this crazy thing, but we somehow upgraded from a pvc tunnel with haybales for end walls to a 1 5/8" galvanized steel gothic structure. Our friend Ron, at Huguenot Street Farm, helped us get our hands on a bunch of fence post steel, which we bent into form with a jig borrowed from our new neighbor Ted, at Windflower farm. We had two unwitting helpers in the form of Lauren and Truman, friends visiting for 2 days from out of town. Truman took back the pickup truck we'd been borrowing, but not before he helped us rehang a barn door, fix a second one, and put up our greenhouse bows.
It somehow took us a solid week to round up all the materials, bend the hoops, put up the structure, and get it skinned, but we did it! It's actually not *quite* done--the ventilation isn't installed (or quite figured out), but we have a couple weeks on that still. At least we can finally get a jump on seeding. Hopefully we can get a little surplus seedlings from some friends to help overcome our late start and have a dynamite year anyway!